1. Passengers arriving from Bangladesh or India are not allowed to enter.
2. Passengers are subject to a COVID-19 test upon arrival at their own expense.
This does not apply to:
- passengers with a negative COVID-19 PCR test result taken 96 hours before departure;
- passengers with a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test result taken 48 hours before departure;
- passengers younger than 6 years.
3. Passengers are subject to medical screening.
4. Passengers traveling as tourists must have a reservation confirmation of an approved hotel.
- This does not apply to passengers visiting friends or relatives.
Details can be found at https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
Source: Belize Tourism Board (BTB) - Ministry of Tourism
Entry Requirements & Protocols for Entering Belize Click to enlarge & view details
Philip Goldson International Airport
Small Non-Commercial Sea Vessel
International Flight Map
Phases of Travel Reopening Plan
Frequently Asked QuestionsClick through tabs to view all questions
- General FAQs
- Outbound COVID Testing FAQs
- Land Border Reopening for Foreign Tourists
- Cruise Reopening & Preparedness FAQ’s
Who can visit Belize and what are the requirements?
- Effective August 9th, 2021 all travellers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize from other countries will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test.
- All travellers entering Belize at the Philip Goldson International Airport (PGIA) will be required to present a negative Covid-19 PCR test taken within 96 hours of travel or a negative result from any approved Antigen Rapid Test taken within 48 hours of travel. If no test is presented, a COVID-19 test will be administered at the airport for a fee of USD $50 per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test; but children 5 years and older will be required to present a negative test.
- All travellers entering Belize through the Northern and Western Borders will be administered a Rapid Test for COVID-19 by the Ministry of Health and Wellness, at their own expense. No external COVID-19 PCR or Rapid Test will be accepted at these points of entry.
Are there any current restrictions to enter Belize?
Presently, Belize has instituted a temporary travel ban on persons who have travelled to or originated from or have transited the Republic of India and the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. The temporary ban is due to the rising numbers of persons in these countries infected with the COVID-19 virus.
What specific measures are being taken in Belize to protect visitors from contracting the virus?
The country’s primary concern is to assure both travellers and residents that Belize’s tourism product is safer than ever before. A series of new enhanced health and safety protocols have been put in place to protect visitors, Belizeans, and our communities.
- Mandatory use of face masks in public spaces
- Enforcement of physical distancing measures in public spaces and capacity restrictions at restaurants (currently 50%), grocery stores, retail stores, etc.
- Introduction of the “Tourism Gold Standard Program” which seeks to enhance the tourism industry’s health and safety standards by adapting new behaviours and procedures to ensure both employees and travellers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s tourism product. Some of these new measures include:
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Hand sanitizing stations
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces
- Capacity restrictions for all tourism sites to ensure physical distancing can be maintained
- Smaller tour groups to provide a more intimate tour experience
Gold Standard entities can be easily identified by looking for the Gold Standard Certificate or Safety seal.
Belize has also been recognized by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) and is now one of two hundred destinations using the Councils “Safe Travels Stamp” – the world’s first global safety and hygiene mark that indicates that a destination has adopted global standardized health and hygiene protocols.
If I am unable to take a COVID test prior to traveling to Belize, will I be required to test upon arrival? If so, what is the cost of the test?
Yes, we recommended that you bring along one of the accepted COVID tests (see #1 above) as this will provide for a ‘fast track’ arrival process. Depending on the results of your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
If you are unable bring along a COVID test, you will be required to test upon arrival; the cost is US$50.00.
Only cash is accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available in the Health Testing Unit.
If I test positive at the airport, will I be able to get a flight back out of Belize without having to be placed in quarantine?
No. All arriving passengers who test positive at the international airport will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the passengers’ expense. It is therefore recommended that you obtain travel insurance prior to your trip to Belize.
Will children (under 16 years old) be required to present a negative COVID test or be tested upon arrival as well?
Yes. Currently children aged 5 years and older are being tested in Belize. As the situation remains fluid, protocols are subject to change. Any passenger who tests positive upon arrival will be placed in mandatory quarantine for a minimum of 14 days at the travellers expense.
How do I get from the airport to my hotel; are there certified transportation providers?
Yes. Your hotel may offer airport pick-up services depending on their location. Only approved transportation providers are permitted and at this time include the two domestic airlines, car rentals and taxis. We recommend that you liaise with your hotel to learn more about how you will arrive at your hotel.
Upon arrival in Belize, what will the Immigration and Customs process entail?
Enhanced health and safety measures have been adapted to protect both officers and arriving passengers. Some of these measures include protective barriers to reduce contact between the officers and the passengers, kiosks for scanning of passports upon entry, luggage scanners in the Customs Hall, and safety barriers where inspection of luggage is required.
How long should I anticipate getting through arrivals?
Processing time varies depending on the result of your health screening and Covid-19 test results.
Can I stay at a non-Gold Standard accommodation?
At this time, all tourists must book their stay at a Gold Standard hotel. The list of Gold Standard hotels can be found at https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
Am I required to wear a mask?
Yes. By law, all citizens and visitors to Belize must wear a face mask when in public spaces.
What should I do if I start to exhibit symptoms during my vacation?
If you start to exhibit any Covid-like symptoms, immediately notify your hotel’s front desk, and they will implement their Covid Response Plan. Should you develop symptoms, and test positive for the virus while in country, you will be required to quarantine for a minimum of 14-days at your expense. It is highly recommended that you obtain travel insurance prior to coming to Belize in the event that you become sick while on vacation.
If someone at the resort where I’m staying tests positive for COVID, would everyone be quarantined for 14 days?
This is dependent on the Ministry of Health and Wellness’ contact tracing exercise. The hotel will utilize its communication plan to advise of any necessary steps to be taken.
Are there still restrictions on movement for tourists?
Tourists visiting Belize can move about freely, however it is recommended that they remain within the Tourism Safe Corridor. The Safe Corridor includes Gold Standard certified accommodations, tour operators, tourism transportation providers, restaurants, tourism sites and attractions, and gift shops. These Gold Standard and certified entities have all been trained and have implemented enhanced health and safety measures.
A curfew is currently in effect from 9:00 pm to 4:00 am daily. Persons are not permitted to be in any public space during this time, and risk a fine if found in contravention of the regulation.
Is a digital copy of my negative Covid test acceptable?
An official email or other correspondence from the facility where your COVID test was taken with your name clearly indicating your result will suffice as proof of your negative test.
We highly recommend that you take a screenshot of the test results to facilitate processing with Health Officials.
If several people on the same flight test positive, what happens to the other passengers who were also on that flight?
Should several passengers test positive from the same flight, the Ministry of Health and Wellness will activate its contact tracing exercise
Can I visit multiple Gold Standard Resorts during my visit to Belize?
Yes. You can spend time at several different Gold Standard resorts during your time in Belize. Transfers to each resort can be arranged by the property and carried out by a Gold Standard tour operator or certified provider.
Does Belize offer COVID testing for travellers when departing the country?
Yes, the Ministry of Health and Wellness is now offering COVID testing for passengers travelling to the US, Canada, and other destinations that require proof of a negative COVID test for entry. For information on testing sites and cost, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is required to show proof of a negative COVID test prior to departure from Belize?
Travellers going to the following destinations are required to show proof of a negative COVID test prior to their departure:
Effective January 7th, 2021 – Canada (5+ years and older)
Effective January 26th, 2021 – United States of America (2+ years and older)
What type of test/proof is required for my return?
Depending on your final destination, the following will apply:
Canada: Molecular Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) or Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) test conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure to Canada with written documentation of the lab test result.
USA: PCR or rapid Antigen test taken within 3 days (72 hours) of scheduled departure to the US with written documentation of the lab test result.
Documentation of the test result can be provided in paper or electronic format.
What types of tests does Belize offer?
Belize offers both PCR and Antigen tests via public and private health facilities. For a detailed listing of testing sites, visit: www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
Does the hotel offer on-site testing?
Testing capabilities will vary by property. Contact us for more specific information.
How much does the test cost?
Cost of the test varies on the facility and type of test required. Antigen testing starts as low as US$75; we recommend that you contact the authorized facility directly to verify pricing. Other options to further expand and reduce cost of testing are ongoing and include testing onsite in the departure terminals of the international airport.
Can I be denied boarding if I don’t have proof of a negative COVID test?
Yes. Airlines are required to confirm proof of a negative test or documentation of recovery for all passengers prior to boarding for flights bound to the US and Canada. The airline must deny boarding to any passenger who is unable to show proof of a negative test or refuses to take a test.
What happens if I test positive?
A mandatory, minimum 14-day quarantine, is required for any traveller who tests positive. A negative test is required to be cleared for departure. Hotels and resorts will offer guests who must quarantine special rates to facilitate this process. Please contact us for specific rates and health and safety information in this regard.
Do I still need to take a test if I’ve had the COVID vaccine, or have documentation of recovery?
All outbound passengers, regardless of vaccination status, are required to provide either a negative COVID test or documentation of recovery.
Are Belize’s Land and Sea Borders open?
The Government of Belize has approved the reopening of Belize’s Land and Sea Borders in a phased approach, as follows:
- Phase 1- Foreign Tourists Only (Date: May 31st, 2021)
- Phase 2- Foreign Tourists and Visitors of Friends, Family and Relatives (To be determined)
- Phase 3- Full-Reopening (To be determined)
In the first phase, land and sea borders will be reopened to receive foreign tourists only. This phase is divided into two sub-phase
Phase 1A- Reopening of the Western Border (Benque Viejo Del Carmen) and Northern Border (Santa Elena) ONLY, on May 31st, 2021.
Phase 1B- Reopening of the San Pedro Border Point and the Punta Gorda Border Point on a date to be determined.
Can a visitor transit directly from one border to the other border?
No. Under Phase 1, direct transits of travellers or commercial passenger transport from one border to the other border will not be permitted. Day trips to Guatemala or Mexico will not be allowed in the first phase.
Can Belizeans travel freely through the borders?
During Phase 1, the land and sea borders will be open to foreign tourists. Entry and exit by Belizeans, Permanent Residents, Military Personnel, Diplomats may require official permission from the Department of Immigration and the Ministry of Health and Wellness.
What are the requirements for entry via the land borders?
During this phase, Foreign Tourists wishing to enter Belize via the two indicated land border points should note the following requirements:
- Only Foreign Tourists entering Belize for Vacation and Recreational Purposes, for more than one day, will be eligible for entry.
- Foreign Tourists must show proof of booking for at least three nights at a Belize Tourism Board Gold Standard Certified Hotel or Accommodation.
- Foreign Tourists are permitted to enter with their own private vehicles and utilize their personal transportation for travel within Belize.
- Foreign Tourists who do not enter with a private vehicle must be transported from the border facilities by a certified Gold Standard transport operator.
What are the testing requirements?
All travellers entering Belize through the Northern and Western Borders will be administered a Rapid Test for COVID-19 by the Ministry of Health and Wellness, at their own expense. No external COVID-19 PCR or Rapid Test will be accepted at these points of entry.
What should travellers expect upon arrival at the Land Borders?
Foreign Travellers must note that during this phase the two land borders will be open only during the time of 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Belize Time). The following are additional requirements that you can expect when travelling through our Borders:
- It is mandatory for all persons to wear facemasks in all public spaces while in Belize.
- It is mandatory for all persons to abide by the six feet social distancing rule in all public spaces while in Belize.
- Hand sanitization stations will be made available to travellers.
- All persons may be subject to COVID-19 testing upon arrival at the land border, at their own expense ($50 USD per test).
- Any person testing positive for COVID-19 at the land border shall be denied entry. This may include their travelling party or close contacts.
Are Belize’ cruise ports open to all cruise lines?
Yes- Cruise Lines that have submitted a request to add Belize to their respective itineraries and meet all enhanced Health and Safety protocols are allowed to enter Belize waters.
Are there any restrictions to enter Belize on a cruise?
Belize has instituted a temporary travel ban on persons who have travelled to or originated from or have transited the Republic of India and the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. The temporary ban is due to the rising numbers of persons in these countries infected with the COVID-19 virus.
Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise to Belize
- Cruise passengers should bring along an Official Vaccine Card reflecting the receipt of the dual or single dose vaccine at least two weeks prior to arrival.
- Or, if you cannot provide proof of immunization a PCR test or rapid antigen test should be provided or taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation at the Home Port in addition to a secondary testing done on the day of embarkation with the approved rapid antigen tests: Abott (Panbio), SD Biosenso.
Will I Be able to book an excursion while in Belize?
Yes. At this time, fully vaccinated passengers can book excursions with Gold Standard Tour operators only. See link below. If you are not vaccinated, please ask your Shore Excursion desk on board for information on Bubble Tours.
Will I be required to wear a mask while in Belize?
Yes. By law, all citizens and visitors to Belize must wear a face mask when in public spaces. Exceptions are when seated for eating or in water.
Are restaurants, bars and gift shops open in Belize?
Yes. See link for additional information.
What is a Gold Standard entity?
A Gold Standard entity is one that has thoroughly followed the new safety procedures and has the guests’ safety as their utmost priority.
How are you ensuring visitors are washing and sanitising?
All establishments operating within Belize’s cruise bubble will be required to implement the below best practices:
- Enforcement of handwashing
- Mandatory use of face mask
- Enforcement of physical distancing
- Hand sanitizing stations
- Health Screening Procedures
What happens if I display COVID-19 symptoms?
If at any time you feel unwell, check-in with your Tour Guide or any security at the port to return to the ship for a check-up.
Visit Belize COVID-19 WebsiteThe Official COVID-19 website of Belize
See the latest from the Press Office, keep up to date with official Government reports, or find out more about COVID-19 Support Programs here.
Ministry of Health & Wellness Approved Testing & Vaccination SitesClick to on icon to view site details
Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belize.
NATIONAL EMERGENCY, March,30 2020 : From April 1st and will include a curfew from 8pm to 5am every day. The State of Emergency will last 30 days in the first instance. People can go out during the day only on a strictly necessary basis.
March 20, 2020: As of 11:59 on Saturday, March 21, the northern border of Belize, which includes the Corozal free zone, will remain closed for travel, but will remain open for cargo transportation. Philip S.W Golds International Airport will close on Monday, March 23, after the departure of the last scheduled flight. The measure only applies to the movement of people and not to truck loads to / from cargo planes.
March 16, 2020: Ports: All entry points to Belize are closed to passengers, except for Frontera Santa Elena and Philip Godson International Airport. This does not apply to cargo transportation.
Source: Ministry of Health
March 22, 2020. The Government of Belize reminds the public that Belize’s borders are closed for entry. Belizeans are being strongly advised against leaving the country, unless it is a case of bona fide emergency. Belizean nationals, diplomats residing in Belize, and foreigners with legal residency may enter Belize. Please be aware that those seeking entry to Belize may be subject to a period of 14 days in quarantine to prevent the possible transmission of COVID-19.Kindly take note of the border closures below:
• Western Border – Closed.
Cargo: No restrictions have been placed on incoming or outgoing freight and cargo.
• Northern Border - Closed.
Cargo: No restrictions have been placed on incoming or outgoing freight and cargo.
• Southern Border – Closed.
• Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport. Belizeans are not allowed to leave Belize.
Cargo: No restrictions have been placed on incoming or outgoing freight and cargo.
• Belize Seaports: No restrictions have been placed on incoming or outgoing freight and cargo.
Remember Ministry of Health’s hotline at 0-800-MOH-CARE.