Advice to travellers (10.03.2020)
The risk for travellers is considered high. It is recommended that travellers avoid nonessential travel to areas with local transmission of COVID-19: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situatio....
Start date: 10.03.2020
End date: not available
Further information: https://eody.gov.gr/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers/
Temporary and limited relaxation of the enforcement of driving and rest times
The Hellenic Republic has notified a temporary relaxation of the enforcement of driving and rest times for all national and international freight transport on Greek territory with public and private use trucks of any nationality. This relaxation is granted pursuant to Article 14(2) of Regulation (EC) No 561/2006.
Start date: 19.03.2020
End date: 17.04.2020
Further information: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/temporary-relaxatio...
Drivers must present an attestation form from their employer, as well as passport/ID, and the CMR, in order to prove transport activity while on Greek territory.
At the Customs office of Evzoni (BCP Greece-North Macedonia) truck movement restrictions are enforced every day from 22:00-06:00. Trucks carrying ethyl alcohol, perishable goods and medical supplies are exempt from the provision.
On 22March 2020, the Greek Prime Minister announced that Greece will impose a national lockdown as of 23 March 2020, 06:00.
- The movement of Greek citizens is heavily restricted within Greek territory. Special written permission is required under certain circumstances. For people going to/from their place of work, an attestation form from their employer is required (attached in Greek only).
- Foreign citizens are not allowed to enter Greece.
- Greek citizens returning to Greece from abroad must self-isolate at home for 14 days.
- Most international flights to/from Greek airports have been temporarily cancelled.
- Goods transport is exempt from all restrictive measures.
- All borders are open for international transport operations.
- Truck drivers are exempt from self-isolation.
- In some cases a Locator Form may be required by port authorities when entering Greece. Truck drivers will be given the form and asked to complete and sign it. The form requires personal and family contact details (attached in English).
- Currently, it remains unclear whether foreign transport operators/drivers will be required to have an attestation form from their employer (as in point 1 of Passenger Transport above). OFAE has requested further clarification from the Greek authorities on this point.
Temporary relaxation of EU Regulation No. 561/2006or AETR
Valid from 19.03.2020 until 18.04.20 (inclusive):
- Art. 6(1): replacement of the maximum daily driving limit of 9 hours with one of 11 hours.
- Art. 6(2): replacement of the maximum weekly driving limit of 56 hours with one of 60 hours.
- Art. 7: replacement of the minimum daily break requirements by imposing a break of 45 minutes after 5 and a half hours.
- Art. 8(1): reduction of the daily rest requirements from 11 to 9 hours.
- Art. 8(6): postponement of a weekly rest period beyond six 24-hour periods.