Terms of Reference
for the informal working group
of Regulation No. 22 (Protective Helmets)
In December 2017, the Working Party on Passive Safety (GRSP) agreed on the need to update the UN Regulation No. 22 according to the new research results in biomechanics on head protection and to seek the consensus of WP.29.
In March 2018, the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29) gave a general support to the GRSP proposal to establish an informal working group (IWG) to work on updating the UN Regulation No. 22 under the framework of the 1958 Agreement.
The purpose of this document is to set forth the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the IWG including objective, scope, operating principles, timeline and deliverables.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE WORKING GROUP
The objective of the IWG is to develop additional safety provisions that were either not ready for adoption of UN Regulation No. 22 and/or required additional research. The IWG will also update/clarify existing requirements and test procedures in UN Regulation No. 22 based on new data and on-road experience.
Scope of work for IWG shall include the following items . Should additional items be proposed, the IWG will decide by consensus on their inclusion
- New test and criteria following the progress in research for head protection improvement (e.g.: Rotational Acceleration Protection);
Requirements for new features to take into account:
- Lightening equipment;
- Audio-phone equipment
- Design equipment
- Aeration (to improve helmet wearing)
- New Type Approval Marking System (to prevent counterfeit and backup enforcement and police control)
- Operating principles
- The IWG is a sub-group of Working Party on Passive Safety (GRSP) and is open to all participants of GRSP including contracting parties and non-governmental organizations to the 1958 and 1998 agreements.
- The IWG will report to the GRSP and WP.29 .
- The official language of the IWG will be English.
- All documents must be submitted to the Secretary of the group in a suitable electronic
format at least (10) working days before the meeting. The documents will be posted on the UN website at least (5) working days in advance of the meetings.
- The Secretary of the IWG will distribute a draft meeting minutes to all members within (15) working days after the meeting with the view to be formally adopted at the next meeting .
- Decisions and proposals of the group shall be reached by consensus. When consensus
cannot be reached, the chairs of the group may present the different points of view and seek guidance from GRSP, as appropriate.
- Meetings shall be held in agreement with the majority of the participants based on the joint proposal by the chairs of the IWG. Meetings may be in person or virtual using web-based technology.
- A provisional agenda shall be drawn up by the IWG leadership. The first item of the provisional agenda for each session shall be the adoption of the agenda. The second item shall be the minutes of the previous session followed by technical discussions and miscellaneous items.
- TIMELINE and DELIVERABLES
1. May 2018 : First IWG meeting, report to GRSP and adoption of the ToR.
2. November 2018 : Report to the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29) and adoption of ToR.
3. December 2018 : Second IWG meeting and report to GRSP – informal proposal
4. March 2019: Report to WP.29 on the IWG progress of work
5. May 2019 : Third IWG meeting and report to GRSP – official proposal
6. June 2019: Report to WP.29 on the IWG progress of work (announcing the official proposal for the November 2019 session)
7. November 2019 : Submission of the official proposal to the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29) and the Executive Committee for the 1958 Agreement (AC.1) for consideration and vote.