Additional measures taken by Republic of Azerbaijan in respect of Covid-19 pandemics at border checkpoints
The Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan has issued an Action Plan in order to
-decision to temporarily close the state border between the Republic of Azerbaijan
-goods that are imported from the Islamic Republic of Iran or through their territory
-decision allowing transportation of trucks that come from the Islamic Republic of
-fast and smooth movement of goods required for COVID-19 treatment has a
-staff has been trained by specialists from the Ministry of Health;
-the use of provided personal protective equipment such as gloves, masks,
-relevant hygiene measures such as hands washing and disinfection, disinfection
- disinfection of trucks and vehicles;
- employees who do not maintain essential services are put on standby duty;
- persons returning from risk areas may not enter the office for 14 days after their
- continuous dissemination of leaflets with WHO recommendations regarding
- body temperature screening at planes, ships and buses;
- body temperature checks and health inquiry on departure at airports, seaports and
- isolation and transfer to hospital of suspected passengers with symptoms like fever
- isolation and transfer to hospital for further testing and observation of passengers
-entry passengers are required to fill in health declaration forms, providing all
- continuous data exchange between the relevant agencies.
Azerbaijan and Georgia, the decision on the temporary closure of the state border, adopted on March 13, 2020, was extended until April 20. There is a transit corridor for cargo transportation.
(Source: https://cabmin.gov.az/az/article/762/ )
Despite restrictions on the the movement of persons across borders during COVID-19 pandemic, Azerbaijan’s borders remain open for the movement of goods.
The State Customs Committee is taking the following measures to limit the spread of the pandemic:
- Preventive measures have been stepped up and are in place at all customs border checkpoints.
- All vehicles entering the country are disinfected several times, both by a stationary disinfection device and manually.
- Cargo imported to Azerbaijan from Iran and its territory is unloaded onto vehicles with Azerbaijani registration plates.
- Vehicles carrying transit cargo are escorted to their destination by the State Traffic Police.
In accordance with the decision of the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan, foreign drivers of freight vehicles will be able to enter the territory of Azerbaijan or transit through Azerbaijan without obstacles.
Maritime transportation (including trucks and container trans-shipment) with certain restrictions with neighbouring countries (Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan) is open and ongoing.
- Only Turkmen freight drivers can use Turkmenistan ships heading to their country. Also, only trailers and semi-trailers will be allowed to be loaded on to the Turkmen ships.
- All drivers are obliged to test in the Port of Baku, in the guarantee zone before loading. Only the drivers with negative test result certificates can enter Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan. The test results are made available within 6-8 hours.
- At the Port of Baku, truck drivers wait for the ship in dedicated clean zones and food is being provided.
Road Transport: all border-crossing points (with Iran, Russia, Georgia and Turkey) are open for road transport (only for freight).
- Accompanied (police escort) freight vehicles from Iran and from Alat port, heading in the Georgia direction, are allowed to cross the borders of Azerbaijan.
- According to the order of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, free food and rest places are provided for international truck drivers.
- The border between Azerbaijan and Iran is closed to all passenger traffic as of 29.02.2020.
- The border between Azerbaijan and Georgia is closed to all passenger traffic as of 14.03.2020.
- The border between Azerbaijan and Turkey is closed to all passenger traffic as of 14.03.2020.
- The border between Azerbaijan and Russia is closed to all passenger traffic as of 18.03.2020.
Note: In all these cases, allowances are made for citizens of Azerbaijan to cross the border to return home, and vice-versa.
The visa registration through “ASAN Viza” electronic portal is suspended due to the global epidemic situation.
Useful links and hotline:
- The State Agency on Mandatory Health Insurance (TABIB)
- COVID-19 Hotline of TABIB: 1542
- Operational Headquarters under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Republic of Azerbaijan(information in Azerbaijani only)
Source: Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of the Republic of Azerbaijan